A motorcycle speedometer is a device used to measure the speed of your vehicle. As you ride through the scenic views, blasting your favorite music, there are chances you may lose track of the speed.
A speedometer will ensure safety by alerting you when you exceed the speed limit, and also so you don’t come home to traffic tickets in your mailbox. There are digital and analog devices, both of which can be suitable for your adventures.
With a plethora of speedometer options flooding the market, it can be difficult to choose the right one. After extensive research, surveys, and interviewing previous customers, we have curated a list of the top five motorcycle speedometers for you. Read on to know about them.
Top 5 Motorcycle Speedometers [Reviewed]
Our top five options have been evaluated on the basis of their features, functions, brand reliability, durability, and pricing. After this quick overview, let’s talk about them in greater detail.
#1. Trail Tech 752-119 Vapor Digital Speedometer
When it comes to motorcycle speedometers, Trail Tech is the first brand that pops into our minds. They meet the needs of both on and off-road riders, with the Vapor digital speedometer being one of their best. It has multiple screens with different features to minimize the clutter on one screen. You can easily switch between them even while riding.
It has a stopwatch to practice for races which can be reset once you are done. Vapor is a versatile device that can easily operate on regulated AC or 12V DC electrical systems. It has an internal battery that can last up to a year but for the bikes, with an electric start, you can plug it into the vehicle’s battery. It will start working as the bike starts moving.
The speedometer package includes all the necessary wires and screws required for installation. You can refer to the detailed instructions for an easy and seamless setup process. It comes with a warranty of one year and is suitable for motorcycles of most brands, including KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and also Suzuki.
Trail Tech Vapor devices are custom-made for your specific motorcycle model. The drop-down menu on the purchasing page allows you to select the bike brand, and it recommends the most appropriate speedometer model for you to buy.
- Trail Tech Vapor 752-119 is a compact motorcycle speedometer, with dimensions of 6 x 3.5 x 7 inches and has an easy-to-read screen.
- It has three modes displaying maximum speeds, tachometer bar graph, RPM, ride time, engine temperature, and also ambient temperature.
- It has a clock to time your rides and reset it whenever required through a tiny red button on the back.
- The LED light on the speedometer alerts you when it’s time to switch gears or pull over to avoid overheating the engine.
- It can be customized for tach sensitivity and to send trigger warnings for temperature.
- Compact, suitable for most bikes
- Easy to read
- Sends trigger warnings via LED lights
- 1-year warranty
- Easy to install
- The user instructions are difficult to comprehend
#2. Samdo Universal GPS Speedometer
Samdo Universal is an old-school analog speedometer for motorcycles, cars, off-road vehicles, and even boats. As you begin riding, a needle indicates your speed. It is then displayed in 0-250km/hr and 0-160mph units. It has a GPS speed sensor that uses direct signals from the satellite to show the current speed of your bike.
It starts reading from zero, and the mileage can not be reset. It will keep on adding the miles as you ride the same as in a car. So, in case you want to measure the distance of your travels, make a note of the kilometers/miles before you start riding and calculate the distance once you arrive at your destination.
Samdo motorcycle speedometer includes all the wires and screws needed to install the device, as well as a user manual for the rider. It is simple to install on the motorcycle without the need for additional assistance. Like most analog speedometers, it has a red backlight for easier visibility for night travelers.
The previous customers are quite happy with the product, and the reviews on top websites like Amazon back it up. It is fast and accurate, making it a reliable companion for your road adventures. Also, the unit is quite reasonably priced as compared to the competitors with the same features.
- This motorcycle speedometer provides accurate current driving speed and mileage while quickly confirming the location.
- The device has an IP67 rating, making it waterproof and dustproof against any sudden weather changes.
- It consumes less power and therefore lasts longer, which makes it ideal even for long trips.
- The odometer on the device keeps on recording the distance even without the power, courtesy of its power-off memory function.
- Samdo Universal speedometer has a red backlight, which makes it easier for you to read the speed and mileage while riding in the dark.
- Power-off memory function
- Accurate GPS
- Waterproof and dustproof
- Easy to install
- Easy to use and read
- Takes up to 5 minutes to find GPS
#3. ELING Universal MPH GPS Speedometer
The Eling Universal motorcycle speedometer comes with a GPS speed sensor that receives signals directly from a satellite signal receiver. The device is known for its high precision and quick confirmation of the location. However, it can take a while for the GPS to pick up the signals. It is a reliable product and an ideal companion for all your travel adventures.
The speedometer design is plain yet sophisticated. It has a blackface plate with stainless steel covering of the same color on the side. However, the buyer has the option to choose a different color to match that of their bikes’. Other than motorcycles, it is suitable for cars and even boats.
The device’s odometer displays the total distance traveled, but it cannot be reset to zero. If you need a resettable trip meter, you can look for different models of the same brand. It is easy to operate on a 12VDC/24VDC power supply. The Eling Universal MPH comes with a 1-year warranty, which is quite decent when it comes to analog speedometers. It is a good quality device that is built to last.
The speedometer design is sturdy and is resistant to dust and high wind conditions. This also adds to the durability of the device. It also comes with installation instructions, so you can set it up at home without any extra help. It has a three-wire setup process: power, ground, and lighting. The device can be mounted in any position on the motorcycle, including on and under the dashboard. Also, you’ll have to open the motorcycle dashboard to install the unit.
- The Eling Universal speedometer has a GPS sensor that offers an accurate location to the rider.
- The stepper motor on the speedometer ensures higher precision while measuring speed and also consumes less power.
- The speedometer is IP67 rated, which means it is both waterproof and dustproof.
- It has a red backlight, allowing you to check your speed and mileage while riding at night.
- A curved glass covers the speedometer, and it also has an anti fogging feature to keep the mist away in the winters.
- Waterproof and dustproof
- Easy to install
- GPS sensor that provides accurate location
- 1-year warranty
- Takes a while to pick up the signals
- The odometer can be reset
#4. Latnex Digital GPS Speedometer
The GPS motorcycle speedometer from Latnex is known not only for its features but also for its sleek design. It displays the speed in kilometers per hour (km/h), miles per hour (mph), and nautical miles per hour (nmph) with an accuracy of ±2km. The speed system has a 24-hour clock feature to keep track of the time as you ride. It also has a voltage detection function.
It is a compact and versatile speedometer coated in black and will go with all your motorcycle brands. It has an LCD screen and a green backlight, allowing the rider to see the speed/distance even at night. The speedometer has two buttons: Menu and set, making the device user-friendly. For extra assistance, you can always download the user manual from Amazon or the product website.
The refresh rate of Latnex Digital is 0.2 seconds / 0.5 seconds. It is powered by a DC 10-24 volt supply. It is CE and ROHS certified, which means that the product is free from hazardous substances. The product is sturdy and can withstand sudden changes in weather conditions.
The power consumption of the device is quite low. It is easy to install with the help of two wires, a positive wire, and a ground wire. The package includes all the required screws and wires for easy setting of the device. Also, the system is available in three colors: black, red, and purple.
- The GPS satellite positioning allows you to measure and display your current speed as you ride.
- It displays maximum speed and alerts the rider when they are overspeeding. When not needed, this feature can be turned off.
- The speedometer has an IP65 waterproof rating, which means it is protected from low-pressure water jets. It is also dustproof to endure high wind conditions.
- The speedometer has a 24-hour clock that automatically positions itself with Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
- It has an EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory), and therefore it stores all the data automatically.
- Waterproof and dustproof
- Automatically saves data
- Easy to install
- Easy to read
- Odometer can’t be set to zero
#5. VJOYCAR C60s Universal Digital GPS Speedometer
The VJOYCAR C60 speedometer is a plug-and-play device. It displays speed in kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph). When you long press the enter button, a number will appear on the screen. If it is 100, the speed unit is km/h, and if it is 161, the speed unit is mph. It is a wireless unit and doesn’t require installation. It comes with an adhesive on the back so it can be placed anywhere on the vehicle.
It may take about 3-5 minutes for the speedometer to receive GPS signals. It has multiple alert functions that ensure a safe riding experience for the user. Besides bikes, the device is suitable for cars, trucks, SUVs, boats, and even golf carts.
The device doesn’t have a rechargeable battery, so you’ll have to connect it via USB to keep it working. Manufacturers state that it may have a measurement error of 3-5 km/hr at times, but that it can be calibrated manually. For those who want an odometer feature on the unit, they can opt either for VJOYCAR C80 or C90.
The speedometer is covered with protective film, but you can remove it for a clear view of the screen. It is quite budget-friendly for the riders who cannot afford to shell out pennies to buy an extra speedometer. Rest assured, the product is reliable, without any compromises in terms of quality, given the lower price. It has received quite a handful of positive reviews from customers on Amazon.
- The VJOYCAR C60 is a compact speedometer that can fit anywhere on the motorcycle; and also has a user-friendly design.
- It collects speed signals from the GPS satellites, so you don’t have to connect it to your motorcycle engine to work.
- Along with the speed, the device displays mileage and single ride time for those who like to time their journeys.
- The speedometer alerts you as the speed goes above 120 km/hr to avoid any accident. Set it to an impossibly high value to switch off the warning.
- It has a fatigue driving alarm that is triggered every hour to alert the rider. This feature comes in handy for those who prefer night travel.
- Plug and play device
- Easy to read
- Compatible with all vehicles
- Overspeed alert warning system
- Not too precise
- Takes time to receive signals
Motorcycle Speedometer Buyer’s Guide
Going on a shopping spree without proper research is dangerous for your wallet, even if it is online. A simple sweep of the internet will tell you exactly what you need in a motorcycle speedometer. For those of you who don’t have that kind of time, refer to this buying guide we have prepared for you with the points to consider while making the purchase.
Wired or wireless
Speedometers are available in two types, and it depends on you which one to choose.
Wired: Wired speedometers are trickier to install but once plugged in, they never lose a signal. They are reliable and ideal for long trips. However, the wires can be messy and come in the way of your riding.
Wireless: They are easier to install and mount on the bike. Unless the unit is charged, you’ll have to keep it connected via a USB cable. You might have to carry extra batteries with you. As there are no wires, there is no clutter on your handlebar or wherever you decide to place the unit.
If you’ll be traveling to areas prone to rainfall and changing weather conditions, a waterproof speedometer is a must. Please note that there is a difference between waterproof and water resistant. A waterproof unit can withstand heavy rains, while the latter can only endure a few splashes of water. It’s wise to seek shelter or cover the unit if you are caught up in heavy rain. This also determines the durability of the product. Make sure you check this before making the purchase.
Read the product specifications clearly to understand if the speedometer has all the features you are looking for. For instance, an over-speed alarm, odometer, clock, etc. It should be user-friendly and in case you have multiple screens, make sure it’s easy to switch between them while riding.
For those who don’t even take a break from their adventure as it turns dark, a speedometer with a backlight is ideal. Most analog devices have a red or green backlight, making it easier for you to read on the screen.
The digital speedometer should have a long battery life to accompany you on long trips. You’ll only be carrying extra weight if it stops mid-way. You might have to connect the wireless speedometer with a USB wire if the battery runs out. Read the customer reviews of the products rather than relying on the manufacturer’s claims.
Choose a speedometer with multiple and easy mounting options. It should offer customization so you can switch the device position as you please. Place it in a position with a clear view, making it easy to read and switch between multiple screens as you ride.
A decent speedometer should cost you anywhere between $50 and $100, and as you increase the budget, you can expect more features like an odometer, backlight, stopwatch, etc. We recommend you decide the budget beforehand to avoid overspending. Also, do check the warranty period of the product and what all it covers.
How to attach/install a motorcycle speedometer?
Attaching/installing a speedometer on your bike is no herculean task. You can do it at home without any extra assistance.
- Start by deciding on a spot to set up the speedometer. The bike’s dashboard is a suitable place, but it actually depends on you.
- The device comes with brackets, screws, and also the necessary wires.
- Using them, carefully mount the speedometer on the bike. Refer to the instruction manual for this.
In case you can’t, take your bike to a garage or repair shop and seek professional help to get the device installed.
As for the wireless devices, you can place them anywhere on the bike using adhesive or connect them via USB.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How accurate are motorcycle speedometers?
Speedometers aren’t always accurate, and they can show higher or lower speeds. According to ECE Regulation No. 39, a document with speedometer accuracy in vehicles sold in EU countries, a speedometer can read higher than the specified test speed by up to 10 percent plus 4 km/h.
Q. How to recalibrate a speedometer?
A speedometer needs recalibration with a change in tire size. For an electric speedometer, press and hold the calibration button. Now start the vehicle and release the button. Press it again and take a test drive. Once done, press the button for the third time, and it will automatically accommodate itself to the new tire size.
Q. Do you need to have a speedometer on a motorcycle?
Yes, a speedometer is a necessity in your motorcycle, especially while traveling to regions with laws to have one. In the United States, 16 states have declared the speedometer to be a legal requirement, while the whole country in the UK has enforced this law. It is a safety instrument for the riders, so they don’t exceed the speed limits, and even has an odometer to measure distance.
Also, we recommend checking out motorcycle TPMS which will help in measuring the tire pressure of your machine.
To sum it up, let us recommend to you the models that won us over while on this search. Our top pick has to be the Trail Tech 752-119 Black Vapor Digital Speedometer. It is a user-friendly device with reliable features and functions. From mileage, and ride time to engine temperature, it displays all you need to know on your screen.
If you are on a tight budget, we suggest you go for reasonable models like VJOYCAR C60s Universal Digital GPS Speedometer. It is a plug-and-play device, and its safety alert functions are undoubtedly a highlight.
No matter what product you decide to go with, be it digital or analog, read the customer reviews before you make the purchase to know if it is worth your time and investment.